Teen dating violence (TDV) is a pattern of behavior that includes physical, emotional, verbal or sexual abuse used by one person in an intimate relationship to exert power and control over another.TDV is generally defined as occurring among individuals between the ages of 13-19 years old. Like intimate partner violence among adults, TDV occurs without respect to age, race, religion, socioeconomic status and sexual orientation.
What does Teen Dating Violence look like? Approximately 25 percent of teens report experiencing TDV annually (Noonan & Charles, 2009). It can include emotional, verbal, physical and/or sexual abuse. In most cases of TDV, violence is used to get another to do what he/she wants, to gain power and control, to cause humiliation and to promote fear, and to retaliate against a partner (Foshee & Langwick, 2010).
How does Teen Dating Violence differ from Adult
- Intimate Partner Violence? An article published by the National Institute of Justice discusses current research on TDV and concludes that there are three key differences between adult and teen dating relationships:
- Abusive teen relationships typically lack the same unequal power dynamic found in adult intimate partner violence relationships. Adolescent girls are not often dependent on their partner for financial support and do not typically have children to provide for and protect.
- Teens have limited experience with romantic relationships and negotiating conflict.
- Teen relationships are more readily affected by the influence of peers.
Because the dynamics of intimate partner abuse are different in adolescent and adult relationships, it is important not to apply an adult framework of intimate partner violence to teen dating violence.
Taking prevention measures is one way of assuring possible safety for your teens. Below is provided a list of actions to consider.
1. Invest in the "Let's Talk About Boyz Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Series for Teen Girls 14 session series. This series educates and provides helpful applications regarding all forms of domestic violence and human/sex trafficking prevention.
2. Consider taking self-defense classes
3. Regardless of where you go consider taking a friend or love one. More options are available in the series above.
“The Let’s Talk About Boyz Teen Dating Violence Awareness and Prevention Series for Teen Girls” provides 14 incredible sessions of engaging guided topics, interactive applications, evidence-based content along with relevant randomized Q & A’s and scenario's and extraordinary creative design that addresses;
• Preventative safeguards and insight for teen girls from the insidious lures and malicious traps of human trafficking.
• Female adolescents can learn to identify and recognize forms of abuse, the cycles of abuse, how to identify abusive behaviors and how to prevent becoming a victim of abuse before it happens. In addition,
• This extraordinary series helps teens how to recognize profiles of a stalker patterns and profile indicators of a rapist and much, much, more.
Teen girls will also learn the importance of;
This series also encourages teen girls to consider disregard of dating and sustaining from sexual conduct or intimate behaviors until an appropriate age and maturity level along with taking a look at some of the emotional and physical consequences resulting from intimate relationships.
In addition, this series offers fun filled, empowering applications with the intent to build self-esteem and positive self-image. Along with developing social-emotional learning skills that enables teen girls to deal effectively with the demands and challenges of life, make mature decisions and focus on personal interest and high academic performance.
The series requires no formal experience. Allow the guide to do all the work for you! Adding your own opinions based on professional or personal experience as it relates to each topic is always helpful and encouraged.
However, the guides process of instruction is to help initiate a flow of discussions either lead by participant/s, groups of girls or by the instructor (you). Each segment gives details and evident-base facts associated with each topics eliminating any guess work enabling trusting relationships while enjoying a bonding experience.